1/2 lb. dried spaghetti
4 oz. pancetta or 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup (2 1/2 oz.) freshly grated pecorino Romano
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until al dente.
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until crisp, about 6 minutes. Remove all but 1/2 Tbl. of the fat.
3. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water, then drain the pasta, and add it to the skillet. Toss to combine.
4. Whisk the egg and the egg yolk in a large bowl. Turn off the heat under the skillet, add the eggs and 1/2 cup of the cheese, and toss thoroughly to combine. Add the reserved pasta water as needed to thin the sauce to desired consistency. Add salt to taste and generously season with pepper.
5. Serve immediately with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese sprinkled on top.
The Ski House Cookbook