This recipe calls for 1 pound of shrimp, but it can easily be halved if you are feeding less people.
Vegetable oil for frying
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
2⁄3 cup water
2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1⁄2 cup bread crumbs
1 pound medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
4 teaspoons rice vinegar
1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. In a large, heavy pot, heat 2 inches of the
oil to 360°F.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together
the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the water
and whisk until smooth. Let the batter stand
for 15 minutes.
3. In a wide, shallow bowl, toss the coconut and
bread crumbs together.
4. Put the shrimp into the batter. One by one, remove the shrimp and dredge in the coconut mixture, pressing to help the coconut adhere. Fry the shrimp in batches in the hot oil for 1 1⁄2 to 2 minutes or until brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the shrimp to a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
5. In a small, nonplastic, microwave-safe bowl, stir together the dipping sauce ingredients. Microwave on high (100% power) about 45 seconds or until bubbly. Stir and serve with the shrimp.