1 cup quinoa (white or red)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup vegetable broth (homemade or store-bought)
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup green bean pieces
1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons wine vinegar
1. Place the quinoa in a large bowl; fill bowl with cool water, then drain. Repeat 4 more times or until the water no longer looks soapy.
2. In a 2-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onion; cook, stirring, until mushrooms are cooked, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the broth and the water; bring to a boil. Stir in the quinoa and oregano; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Add green beans, cover, and cook 5 minutes longer.
4. Remove from heat; stir in the salt, and pepper. Let cool.
5. Add the oil, lemon juice, and vinegar. Toss.
Variation: Add 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil when you stir in the salt.