Makes: Approximately 24 cookies
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 oz. bittersweet chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup superfine sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rum
fleur de sel, to sprinkle
2 baking sheets, lined with parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda and set aside.
3. Melt 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, either in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water or in a microwave.
4. Cream together the butter and sugars in a food processor on high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Add the egg, vanilla extract, rum, and melted chocolate. Continue to beat for 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to slow and add the flour mixture. When that is well mixed, stir in the remaining chopped chocolate.
5. Put the mixture in the refrigerator for 5 minutes to harden slightly. Scoop tablespoons of the mixture onto the lined baking sheets, 2 inches apart (a small ice cream scoop is good for this). Flatten slightly with the back of the scoop. Sprinkle a little fleur de sel on top of each cookie and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Salt: Cooking With the World's Favorite Seasoning
Photos By: Jonathan Gregson
Photo By: Jonathan Gregson