1 (5-lb.) roasting chicken
Salt and ground pepper
2 lb. assorted baby and/or fingerling potatoes, sliced lengthwise
4 carrots, cut in long, 1-inch-thick pieces 4 parsnips, cut in long, 1-inch-thick pieces
3 Tbl. extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a cast-iron skillet and roasting pan in oven. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Tuck wingtips behind the chicken’s back and tie legs with string.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place it in warm skillet. Roast 20 minutes.
3. Combine vegetables in a bowl and toss with 1 Tbl. olive oil and 1 tsp. salt. Place in roasting pan, arranging potatoes cut-side down to caramelize. Return pan to the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 400°F.
4. Roast until a meat thermometer inserted
deep into the breast or thickest part of the inner thigh registers 165°F, or until juice runs clear, about one additional hour.
5. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Tent with aluminum foil to keep warm. Roast the vegetables until they soften
and caramelize, about 35 to 40 minutes. Place veggies on a serving platter and tent with foil or put them in a 200°F oven. Let chicken rest 15 minutes and carve. Serve.
Nest Magazine Spring 2010