1⁄2 large eggplant, sliced
1⁄4-in. thick (about 12 slices)
1 Tbl. olive oil
14 1⁄2 oz. tomato-basil bisque (about 1 can)
1⁄2 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1⁄4-in. thick
1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1⁄4 cup basil pesto
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Place sliced eggplant on a baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle the oil lightly over the eggplant and bake it until it’s dried a bit and softened (about 10 to 14 minutes).
2. Layer the bottom of a 9-in. loaf pan with 1⁄4 cup of the tomato soup. Add a layer of eggplant. Repeat layers of eggplant and soup so that there are four layers.
3. Spread the remaining soup over the top of the eggplant, followed by a thick layer of the sliced mozzarella cheese and a thin even layer of Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake uncovered in the oven at 350°F about 35 to 40 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned on top.
5. Let the casserole cool slightly before garnishing with a drizzle of basil pesto, then serve.
Recipe courtesy of Wolfgang Puck, celebrity chef, caterer, cookbook author and restaurateur
The Nest Winter 2011
Photos By: Hector Sanchez