Lean, Flavorful Chicken That Cooks All Day
Slow-cooking chicken develops a moist, tender consistency your whole family will love. It also allows the chicken to better absorb the seasoning, creating mouth-watering flavor. These chicken breasts require only a handful of ingredients and minutes of prep time before cooking all day. Fresh lemon juice added toward the end brings a citrus flare, which can be swapped out for orange juice if desired.
Total Time: 490 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 4 - 6
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, as desired
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 fresh lemon
- Wash the chicken breasts and pat them dry.
- Melt the butter or heat the oil in a frying pan, then lightly brown the chicken breasts, turning them over to brown both sides evenly.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper, the Italian seasoning and garlic over the breasts as you transfer them to your slow cooker.
- Place the broth in the frying pan to loosen any bits of chicken that may have stuck there, then pour it over the chicken in the slow cooker. Alternatively, simply pour the broth over the chicken.
- Set the cooker to low for 8 hours. Seven hours in, add the juice of the lemon – as much as you can squeeze, or about 1/4 cup. At this point, you can taste the chicken, and add a touch more salt and pepper as you see fit.
- If desired, reserve the juices in the slow cooker pot to pour over the breasts as you serve them.
- Serve the chicken breasts sliced into desired portions with fresh or steamed veggies and baked or mashed potatoes or dinner rolls.
- Store any leftover chicken in your refrigerator, covered in plastic wrap, for up to a week.
TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read)
- Use leftover chicken breasts in warm or cold sandwiches. To keep the breasts from drying out, don't slice them until you make the sandwiches.
- For a sweeter flavor, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of brown sugar when you place the chicken in the slow cooker, and use 1/4 cup of orange juice instead of lemon juice toward the end.
- For spicier chicken breasts, use chili powder instead of Italian seasoning. When you serve the breasts, provide hot sauce for family members who like more kick.
- If your family prefers dark meat, use 3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts. They’re nearly as lean as chicken breasts and typically more flavorful.
August McLaughlin is a health and sexuality writer, podcast host and author of “Girl Boner: The Good Girl’s Guide to Sexual Empowerment” (Amberjack Publishing, 2018). Her articles appear in DAME Magazine, Cosmopolitan.com, the Huffington Post and more, and she loves connecting with readers through her blog and social media. augustmclaughlin.com