Create a Cheesy Casserole the Whole Family Will Love
Casseroles make an all-inclusive meal that you can serve at dinner without making separate side dishes. A chicken Tater Tot casserole contains a limited amount of ingredients, making it a go-to meal if you're low on supplies, and it will please just about everyone in your family. Kids and Tater Tots go together, so they're bound to appreciate the savory element the little potato nuggets bring to the dish. Even the pickiest of little eaters will enjoy the gooey cheese and bacon in this recipe.
You don't have to cook the chicken or defrost the Tater Tots for this Crock-Pot concoction. Just add the ingredients, set the pot and go. Start it at lunchtime to have it ready for dinner, then use leftovers for another dinner or send them along with the kiddos for lunch the next day. It doesn't get much easier than that.
Total Time: 4 to 6 hours | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 6 to 8
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 package (32-ounces) frozen Tater Tots
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- Dice the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces and place them in a medium-size bowl. Mix the chicken with the kosher salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook the bacon until crisp on both sides—about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the bacon from the skillet with tongs and place it over two to three layers of paper towels to drain.
- Add half of the package of frozen Tater Tots to a 6-quart Crock-Pot. Sprinkle 1/3 cup shredded cheddar and 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella over the Tater Tots.
- Place the seasoned, uncooked chicken over the Tater Tots and cheese.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella and 1/3 cup of shredded cheddar over the chicken.
- Pour the remaining frozen Tater Tots over the chicken and cheese.
- Top the Tater Tots with the remaining 1/3 cup of shredded cheddar and 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, ranch dressing and hot sauce, whisking until well-combined.
- Pour the milk mixture over the casserole.
- Set the slow cooker to cook for 4 to 6 hours on low or for 3 to 4 hours on high.
TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read)
Spray your Crock-Pot with nonstick cooking spray, or place a slow-cooking liner in it to prevent the cheese from sticking when you serve the casserole. Liners make cleanup a snap.
For extra crunch, sprinkle 1/3 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs or fried onions on top of the casserole during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
If you don't have a Crock-Pot, assemble this recipe in a greased, 13-by-9-inch baking pan and bake it at 350 F for 1 1/2 hours.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Adapted from: Food.com: Cheesy Chicken, Bacon & Tater Tot Crock Pot Bake
- Adapted from: Real Housemoms: Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken, Bacon, & Tater Tot Bake
- Adapted from: The Country Cook: Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- MayoClinic.com: How Long Can You Safely Keep Leftovers in the Refrigerator?
Based in Las Vegas, Susan Paretts has been writing since 1998. She writes about many subjects including pets, finances, crafts, food, home improvement, shopping and going green. Her articles, short stories and reviews have appeared on City National Bank's website and on The Noseprint. Paretts holds a Master of Professional Writing from the University of Southern California.