Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas With Filling That Cooks All Day
Slow-cooking can turn basic enchiladas into a sumptuous, flavorful feast. This chicken enchilada recipe uses lean, white-meat chicken breasts, making it a good source of protein that’s low in saturated fat. And because the filling cooks all day, you and your family can come home to a welcoming, aromatic kitchen. Prepare a full batch to enjoy the same day, or divvy it into two containers, reserving and freezing one for later enjoyment.
Total Time: 7 hours, plus 55 minutes | Prep Time: 30 minutes | Serves: 4
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 15-ounce cans enchilada sauce
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese
- Heat your oven to 350F.
- In your slow cooker, combine the chicken, enchilada sauce and chilies.
- Cover the cooker, and set it on low to cook for about 7 hours, or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken. Place it in a large bowl, and shred it with two forks.
- Remove 1 2/3 cups of the liquid from the cooker, and set it aside.
- Add the beans to the bowl containing the shredded chicken.
- Lightly grease a large, rectangular casserole dish, then pour in 1 cup of the reserved liquid to coat the bottom of the dish.
- Place 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of a tortilla; roll it up, and place it seam-side down in the prepared dish. Repeat this until you’ve used all of the chicken.
- Pour the remaining juice over the top of the enchiladas, and sprinkle them with cheese.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil. Bake the enchiladas for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read)
For two batches of enchiladas, one to enjoy now and one to enjoy later, use two smaller casserole dishes, covering and freezing one for up to three months. To use the frozen portion, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, and then remove it 30 minutes before baking as directed.
August McLaughlin is a health and sexuality writer, podcast host and author of “Girl Boner: The Good Girl’s Guide to Sexual Empowerment” (Amberjack Publishing, 2018). Her articles appear in DAME Magazine, Cosmopolitan.com, the Huffington Post and more, and she loves connecting with readers through her blog and social media. augustmclaughlin.com