How to Make Chicken Mole in a Slow Cooker
Mole sauce may sound intimidating, but with your trusty slow cooker and a fairly short list of ingredients, you can whip up a batch up to par with Mexican restaurants. This recipe pairs chiles in adobe sauce with bittersweet chocolate and almonds to create that unmistakable warm and spicy flavor. Prepare it before breakfast for a finished feast that will await your clan by dinnertime.
Total Time: 255 minutes | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Serves: 12
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 4 large chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place the chicken thighs in your Crock-Pot or slow cooker, dusting both sides with a touch of salt and pepper.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients in your blender, and process on high for about 2 minutes, or until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Add the sauce to the slow cooker, gently mixing it with the chicken thighs.
- Cook the thighs on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
Serve thighs and sauce over rice with black beans and a fresh veggie salad.
August McLaughlin is a health and sexuality writer, podcast host and author of “Girl Boner: The Good Girl’s Guide to Sexual Empowerment” (Amberjack Publishing, 2018). Her articles appear in DAME Magazine, Cosmopolitan.com, the Huffington Post and more, and she loves connecting with readers through her blog and social media. augustmclaughlin.com