10 Cozy Fall Dishes That Require (Almost) No Effort
Salad reigns supreme during the summer months, but post Labor Day it's all about comfort foods. While that might seem like a recipe for disaster for your favorite pair of jeans, autumnal eats aren't all about potatoes, cheese and heavy cream. A little creativity and plenty of seasonal ingredients are key for striking the right balance between indulgent and healthy. Here are a few recipes we love to help you kick off the new season on the right.
1. Cider Baked Apples with Cranberries and Pistachios/Cannelle et Vanille: Picking apples is one of those seasonal experiences that we look forward to all year long, and not just because a trip to the orchard means a healthy serving of cider doughnuts. We're all about the crisp air, sweet smells and a chance to really connect with our food. But of course, one can't forget the beauty of the entire event, which is in fact all of the delicious dishes that come as a result. This decadent dessert is simple, delicious and will have you feeling warm and cozy with every bite.
Photo via Cannelle et Vanille
2. Spicy Potato Tarragon Soup/Happy Yolks: We might be fans of chilled summer dishes, but there's nothing quite like a piping hot bowl of soup on a brisk fall day. Not to mention it's incredibly easy to make and will have lunch and dinner covered for days, perfect for those times when spending hours in the kitchen simply isn't an option. A twist on traditional potato and leeks soup, this hearty recipe packs a punch for your taste buds with the addition of Sriracha sauce.
Photo via Happy Yolks
3. Mini Sweet Potato Pizzas/Love and Lemons: Naan and pita pizzas are the ultimate last-minute dinner solution. Not only can you use whatever you have on hand, they take only a few minutes to make. We love Love and Lemon's sweet potato version that calls for fresh, seasonal veggies, ricotta and naan.
Photo via Love and Lemons
4. Pasta with Fennel, Arugula and Lemon/Sprouted Kitchen: Our go-to dish when we're feeling a little less than inspired? Pasta. With a few simple ingredients and less than 20 minutes, you can have a meal that is both comforting and delicious. This easy-to-follow recipe has only a handful of ingredients, but is anything but short on flavor.
Photo via Sprouted Kitchen
5. Easy Healthier Crockpot Butter Chicken/Halfbaked Harvest: Forget mac and cheese, when we want comfort food we're all about the butter chicken. Unfortunately, it's usually a dish that requires time we don't always have. Enter Halfbaked Harvest's game-changing crock pot recipe for the iconic dish. Toss in the ingredients and let the slow cooker do its thing, then come home to a savory, spicy and all-around mouth-watering dish. It's really that simple.
Photo via Halfbaked Harvest
6. Dad's Favorite Seafood Stew/In Pat's Kitchen: Seafood doesn't always get a lot of love during the winter months, but this rich stew is about to change all that (it comes together in just 20 minutes!).
Photo via Food52
7. Garlic Chili-Maple Roasted Butternut Squash & Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate + Gorgonzola/Ambitious Kitchen: Skip the salads and make seasonal veggies your side dish of choice this fall. We're loving Ambitious Kitchen's unexpected addition of pomegranate and gorgonzola to traditional roasted squash and brussels sprouts, which strikes the perfect balance of salty, sweet and bright flavors.
Photo via Ambitious Kitchen
8. Twice Baked Kale Spaghetti Squash/Supper with Michelle: OK, so this is no 30 minute meal, but it's relatively low maintenance and definitely worth the wait. While it's a vegetarian dish, you can toss in spicy sausage and white beans for a little more oomph.
Photo via Supper with Michelle
9. Apple Cinnamon Pork Chops/Gimme Some Oven: One pan dishes? We are oh-so-there. Use fresh, local apples for fabulous flavor and go a little heavier on the cayenne to give this sweet, yet savory seasonal dish more of a kick.
Photo via Gimme Some Oven
10. Black Bean Butternut Quesadillas + Chipotle Lime Crema/Girl Versus Dough: Whether you need an afternoon pick-me-up or a quick and easy dinner solution, this fall-inspired quesadilla is it. Chipotle lime crema? Yes, please.
Photo via Girl Versus Dough
Featured Image via Happy Yolks