Blue Heaven Chili
Named for the chunks of blue cheese scattered into the chili, this dish is certainly quite heavenly.
Makes 2-4 servings
- 2 Tbl. bacon drippings or butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large whole boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-in. cubes (2 to 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 cups rich chicken broth
- 4 to 6 fresh green chilies, parched, peeled and coarsely chopped, or 1 cup canned or frozen green chilies, chopped
- 1 medium russet potato, unpeeled, diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Melt the bacon drippings or butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chicken, stirring, until the chicken begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the broth, green chilies and potato to the pot. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes can be pierced with a fork, 30 to 40 minutes. Taste the chili and add salt to taste. Top with blue cheese before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Chili Madness.