Bowl of Red
Cozy up with this classic red chili on a cold night for a filling and satisfying meal.
Makes 8 servings
- 2 Tbl. Butter (or lard or bacon drippings)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 lbs. boneless chuck roast or 80% lean beef cut into 1/2 in. cubes
- 3 medium-size garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pure ground hot red chili, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup pure ground mild red chili, plus more to taste
- 1 Tbl. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
Melt the butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat. In a large bowl mix the meat with the garlic, ground chilies, half the cumin and the salt. Transfer meat mixture to the pot and add 3 cups water. Stir to combine. Return the pot to the stove, place it over high heat, and bring the mixture to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the meat is very tender and the flavors are well blended, 2 ½ to 3 hours. Add more salt and chili as needed. Add the remainder of the cumin and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Chili Madness.