Chicken in Wine Sauce
Chicken and hearty vegetables are simmered in a delicate wine-flavored sauce. Choose dark meat chicken--thighs or drumsticks--for this dish.
Makes 6 servings
- 4 medium red-skin potatoes, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 pounds chicken thighs or drumsticks, skinned
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Snipped fresh thyme (optional)
Step 1: In a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker place potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion. Place chicken pieces on top of vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley, salt, rosemary, dried thyme, pepper, and garlic; add broth and wine.
Step 2: Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 41⁄2 hours. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to a serving platter; cover with foil to keep warm.
Step 3: For gravy, skim fat from cooking juices; strain juices. In a large saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add cooking juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. If desired, sprinkle chicken and vegetables with snipped fresh thyme. Pass gravy with the chicken and vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of Fresh & Easy Meals.