Heavyweight tracing paper
Repositionable spray adhesive (available at art supply stores)
X-Acto knife or small sharp scissors
Disposable plate (to use as a palette)
Acrylic craft paint in desired colors for detail
Foam stencil brushesPainting detail
1. Lay a piece of heavyweight tracing aper or clear acetate over the fabric design and carefully trace the motif with a pencil.
2. Cut out the pattern in the middle along the line with a utility knife to make a stencil.
3. Spray adhesive on back of paper and stick stencil sheet to the center of the chair to keep it from moving.
4. Squeeze paint colors onto your clean palette. Dab the end of the foam brush into the paint. (Be careful not to overload with paint.)
5. Apply paint to the cutout areas of the stencil by tapping it in an up-and-down motion. Don’t brush! Remove stencil and allow to dry.
6. Make the next smaller stencil from a second sheet of tracing paper or acetate. Repeat as before.
7. For another color, switch to a clean brush. Apply in the same way.