10 Unique and Unexpected Ways to Entertain With Caviar This Season
We're going to go out on a limb and say that caviar probably isn't among the top 10 must-have items on your shopping list each week. Because let's be real — it's not exactly a kitchen staple (for most of us anyway). But let's just say you happen to receive a tinful as a holiday gift or decide to treat yo'self to one. How do you plan on eating it? While purists would argue that taking the less-is-more route and eating it chilled sans embellishment is the way to go (and we certainly won't knock this plan of attack), we like our caviar with a little more oomph, especially when there's company to impress. And no, we're not talking about blinis and sour cream. Caviar can, contrary to popular belief, be served with just about anything. Intrigued? Scroll on for 10 inspired ideas to serve at every holiday occasion.
1. On avocado toast. Say sayonara to hemp hearts. Just when you thought your morning avocado toast routine couldn't get any better, we went ahead and threw some caviar into the mix. Savor it on a Sunday morning before you head out for a holiday shopping extravaganza.
2. As a decadent garnish for soup. Be it a hearty leek and parsnip soup or a refreshing chilled asparagus soup, caviar has a way of adding depth of flavor and gourmet flair to even the simplest of soups. Whip up a batch of your favorite, then garnish with a dollop of crème fraîche and a spoon of caviar. If soup is on your holiday menu, this little additional is guaranteed to kick off the meal with a bang.
3. On a bagel. Like salmon and lox only better. Instantly elevate a holiday bagel bar with caviar. Let guests jazz up just-your-average bagels with cream cheese (mixed with Tabasco, lemon juice, capers and scallions), smoked salmon and caviar. Breakfast will never be the same.
4. With potato chips. Chips and dip isn't exactly the most inspired of appetizers, that is unless you have a little caviar on hand. Skip the storebought stuff and make potato chips at home (bonus points if you go gaufrette style), then team them with crème fraîche, thinly sliced scallions and briny caviar FTW.
5. With pasta. Not every meal has to be a 5-course affair when company comes around. Take a classic pasta dish, like carbonara, and garnish with parsley, red pepper flakes and caviar for an elegant dish that comes together in seconds.
6. In mini tacos. Feel like getting fancy for an upcoming cocktail party or holiday soiree? Caviar tacos are the way to go. Load up mini taco shells (you can make these with wonton wrappers) with tuna tartare, then sprinkle with caviar, a touch of crème fraîche and freshly chopped herbs for an Insta-worthy dish your guests will swoon over.
7. On baked potatoes. Mini roasted potatoes were practically made for serving roe. Scoop out the inside, mix with sour cream, chives, salt and pepper than cap off with caviar for a killer party hors d'oeuvre.
8. With chilled oysters. Oysters sprinkled with caviar and served with perfectly chilled champagne? Sign us up!
9. On pizza. It's not what you think: Instead of sprinkling caviar over a slice of cheese, deck out a homemade flatbread with crème fraîche, smoked salmon, chives and caviar. Voilà! An app just about all of your guests can get behind.
10. With steamed buns. Afternoon tea is about to get interesting. These melt-in-your mouth buns are light, fluffy and downright to-die-for, boasting a spot of crème fraîche and caviar. Get the recipe here.