How to Cook Brown Rice
Learn how to cook fluffy brown rice with these simple and straightforward steps. The photos will guide you through a foolproof stove-top method that will result in a perfectly cooked pot of brown rice.
Brown rice is a nutritious and versatile whole grain that can be incorporated into many different types of dishes, such as; stir-frys, soups, stews, and salads. The nutritional value in brown rice is higher than in regular white rice because the grain is left intact; resulting in more fiber and nutrients. There is about 215 calories in a cup of cooked brown rice, but keep in mind that 1 cup of uncooked brown rice makes 3 cups of cooked rice.
There are different varieties of brown rice; long grain, short grain, basmati, jasmine, and all of these types are prepared the same way. The following recipe can be easily doubled if needed. If you store your cooked brown rice in a sealed, air-tight container it will keep up to 7 days in the fridge.
How long to cook brown rice?
- measuring utensils (teaspoon/cup)
- 1 quart pot (or larger) with a lid
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 ¼ cups filtered water or broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Rinse: Measure out 1 cup of brown rice and transfer to a strainer. In the sink, run cool water over the brown rice for about 30 seconds, or until the water runs clear.
2. Combine with water: Combine the rinsed brown rice, water (or broth), olive oil, and salt together in the pot.
3. Bring to a boil: Bring the pot of brown rice and water to a boil over a medium-high flame. Once the water boils, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and reduce the flame to a simmer. Allow the brown rice to cook undisturbed for 40 minutes.
4. Fluff and Rest: After 40 minutes of cooking time, or once the water has been completely absorbed by the rice, remove from the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. Cover the pot back up with the lid, and let it steam for an additional 10-15 minutes. Fluff the brown rice once more before serving. Brown rice can also be prepared in the microwave or in a rice cooker:
How to Cook Brown Rice in the Microwave: To cook brown rice in a microwave, start by rinsing and draining 1 cup of brown rice. Combine the rinsed brown rice, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 3 cups of water (or broth) in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the brown rice uncovered on HIGH for 10 minutes. Cover the bowl with a microwave-safe lid, but do not seal shut. Cook on MEDIUM power, for 20 minutes. Fluff the brown rice with a fork before serving.
How to Cook Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker: To cook brown rice in a rice cooker, start by rinsing and draining 1 cup of brown rice. Transfer the rinsed brown rice to your rice cooker and combine with 1 ½ cups water (or broth) and 1 teaspoon of salt. Turn the rice cooker on the Brown Rice setting, or set timer for 30 minutes. Fluff the brown rice with a fork before serving.