Quinoa Bowls: One Bowl, 1000 Possibilities
Lunch and dinner bowls are kind of the best thing going. Not only are they incredibly easy to throw together, perfect for those days when the kitchen is the last place you want to be, they're a great cool-weather alternative to the standard summer salad. Because yes, that's totally something we're starting to think about these days — it is September after all. And if staying up on your healthy eating game this fall and winter is high on that packed priority list, these hearty bowls are loaded with good-for-you ingredients and can easily switched up to incorporate the season's freshest ingredients. Did we mention they also boast some serious peace-keeping powers? Let us explain. If you and your SO, BFFs or family members have palates that simply don't mesh, quinoa bowls allow everyone to customize their own dish (meaning no more lengthy debates about the virtues of spices, meat or whatever else creates a culinary divide in your home). Just put out a variety of toppings and let everyone take it from there.
So what is a quinoa bowl exactly? Essentially, it's the nutrient-packed grain piled high with a whole slew of toppings ranging from roasted vegetables to beans and blackened chicken. To put it plainly, it's all about the add-ons. Like a salad, mixing it up is key to prevent the dish from losing its appeal. Luckily, the possibilities are endless. We've rounded up some of our favorite recipes right here to get you started. To cut down on time, consider cooking up a batch quinoa and storing it in the fridge to use throughout the week — you'll be able to whip up a delicious bowl in two seconds flat!
1. Honey Chicken Chipotle Bowls with Lime Quinoa/How Sweet It Is: Spicy chipotle chicken, fresh greens and a whole host of flavorful veggies? We are oh-so there. Plus fresh lime juice really makes this dish sing.
Photo via How Sweet It Is
2. Easy Superfood Quinoa Bowl/Gimme Some Oven: As if quinoa wasn't enough of a nutritional superstar on its own, this dish takes the delicious grain to a whole new level with the addition of almonds, broccoli, avocado and more.
Photo via Gimme Some Oven
3. Roasted Veggie Quinoa Bowl/I Love Vegan: Between the chili-lime kale and the roasted sriracha and soy sauce chickpeas, this is a dish after our own hearts. Save this one for a cool, crisp — it's the ultimate comfort dish.
Photo via I Love Vegan
4. Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Bowl/Sprouted Kitchen: Brussels sprouts and squash season is coming right up and this delicious recipe buts them right in the spotlight.
Photo via Sprouted Kitchen
5. Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bowl/Love & Lemons: Quinoa bowls at breakfast mean you can count on the rest of your day being on-point. Load up on sliced almonds, fresh fruit and vanilla almond milk.
Photo via Love & Lemons
6. Roasted Veggie Tahini Quinoa Bowl/Cookies to Kale: Roasted beets and sweet potato are the stars of this nutrient-dense recipe. Not a fan of tahini? Simply swap it out for a favorite sauce.
7. Thai Chicken Quinoa Bowl/How Sweet It Is: Why get take out when you can whip up this culinary at home? Swap out the chicken for tofu or chickpeas to make this meal Meatless Monday ready.
Photo via How Sweet It Is
8. Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Roasted Summer Vegetables/Cookie + Kate: Make the most of those end-of-season veggies with this vegetarian recipe.
Photo via Cookie + Kate
Feature image by Jules:stonesoup via Flickr