Fresh Seasonal Eats for Early September
We're all about seasonal eating and if you haven't hopped on the bandwagon just yet, now is a great time to start. While summer staples like tomatoes and berries are starting to phase out, there's a whole host of new produce popping up on farm stands everywhere and they come their own endless supply of culinary possibilities. Not sure what the new season has in store for your dinner plate? Sites like Sustainable Table and Eat the Seasons offer comprehensive and up-to-date lists of what's being harvested now. Here, we've listed a few of our favorite early September ingredients, plus a few recipes for a little inspiration.
Veggies might have all the fun come fall, but there are a few fruits still kickin' around give them a run for their money.
Apples: Just coming off that end-of-summer high means it might be a little hard to believe that apple-picking season is upon us. But it is — so you might as well embrace it! From apple sauce to warm apple pie and hot spiked cider, there's more than one reason to get excited about the appearance of this early autumn ingredient.
- Bourbon Baked Apples via How Sweet It Is
- Spiced Apple Cranberry Sauce with Rye via Rhubarbarians
- Apple Pie with Spiced Apple Caramel Sauce via Bon Appetit
- Orchard Turkey Burgers via Iowa Girl Eats
- Gruyère, Apples & Fig Panini via Cookin' Canucks
- Pork Chops with Apples and Sage via Williams-Sonoma
Plums: Tart and sweet, plums are like a little piece of sunshine on your plate. And we'll be savoring every last bite for the next few weeks.
- Plum Galette via Kitchen Konfidence
- Plum and Prosciutto Crostini via Frites & Fries
- Plum and Peach Clafoutis via A Better, Happier St. Sebastian
- Plum Butter via Kitchen Konfidence
Melon: There's nothing quite like fresh melon. It's incredibly refreshing and just the right amount of sweet. Sure, you can freeze melon and enjoy it all year long, but enjoying them just-picked-style is when they're best.
- Chicken and Melon Salad with Coconut Sambol via The Flavor Bender
- Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Spicy Melon Salsa via How Sweet It Is
- Arugula, Melon and Feta with Balsamic Glaze via Stuck on Sweet
- Prosciutto Melon Bruschetta via Real Housemoms
Pears: Like apples, these fabulous fruits make for many a flavorful fall dish.
- Warm Pear and Blue Cheese Tart via Leite's Culinaria
- Pear and Pecorino Ravioli via Julie Blanner
- Ginger Pear Scones via Magnolia Days
- Ricotta Toast with Pears and Honey via Bon Appetit
- Amaretto Poached Pears via The Endless Meal
Arugula: This bitter green (which just so happens to be available all year long) is just the thing to give everything from salads to pizzas and pasta dishes a major kick.
- Panini with Pears, Brie, Caramelized Walnuts and Arugula Pesto Mayo via Vegetable Matter
- Roasted Delicata Squash, Pomegranate and Arugula Salad via Cookie + Kate
- Arugula Pesto via Sutterbean
- Fig, Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza via Love and Olive Oil
Beets: We're a little beet-obsessed, but can you blame us? These superfoods are packed with vitamins, minerals and all sorts of other good-for-you things. And while we love the purple variety, golden beets, which are popping onto the scene right about now, win out every time, hands down.
- Golden Beet Borscht via Food Renegade
- Fig and golden Beet Arugula Salad via Inspiralized
- Roasted Beet Ravioli with Thyme Mascarpone Filling via Bell'Alimento
- Lemon Beet Chips via Jessy & Melissa
Corn: Nosh on this sweet golden treat while you can — it won't be around much longer!
- Elote (Grilled Mexican Corn on the Cob) via Dad With Pan
- Cream Corn Soup with Jalapeño via Chokolat Pimienta
- Vaghareli Makai via David Lebovitz
Radishes: Radishes simple don't get enough love, but this pretty piece of produce has so much potential.
- Glazed Radishes via Big Oven
- Red Radish and Arugula Soup via La Tartine Gourmande
- Easy Pickeled Radishes via Yuppie Chef
- Roasted Radishes via Spoon Fork Bacon