Spicy Melon Salad with Peanuts and Mint
In this recipe, fish sauce stands in for the salt to make a savory-sweet spicy salad or side dish.
Makes 4 servings
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 2 limes)
- 1 large fresh red Thai chile, with seeds, finely minced, or to taste
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus more if needed
- 2 small ripe melons
- 10 fresh spearmint leaves, torn into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons chopped salted roasted peanuts
Step 1: In a medium bowl, combine the lime juice, chile, fish sauce, and sugar with 2 tablespoons water. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Cut each melon in half and remove the seeds. Using a melon baller, scoop out the flesh to make about 4 cups melon balls total. Add the melon balls to the dressing and toss. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes and up to several hours.
Step 2: To serve, toss with the mint, divide among four bowls, and sprinkle with the peanuts.
Recipe courtesy of Cooking in the Moment.