50 Hot Valentine’s Day Date Night Ideas
Need to put some variation in your normal V-day routine? We've got 50 out-of-the-box Valentine's Day date ideas that are anything but ordinary.
1. Book a hot reservation (at home). While cooking together might be something you do every day, there's no reason it can't be special. The twist: Devise a unique menu that you'll make together every year on Valentine's Day (think: all seafood, or an aphrodisiac theme). Start the tradition now and you'll never have to worry about making last-minute plans in the future.
2. Vamp it up. Buy yourself (or your girl) three new lingerie outfits in totally different styles -- over-the-top, cutesy, and subtly sexy -- and use your shopping spree as an excuse to suggest a predinner fashion show. 'Cause what guy won't love his very own Victoria's Secret fashion show and what girl won't be touched that her man ventured into a lingerie shop to surprise her? (Guys: Check out these lingerie-shopping tips for help.)
3. Get the Zen treatment. Book a couples treatment at a local spa for Valentine's evening. By the time you get home, you'll be ultra-relaxed for some late-night fun.
4. Play Truth or Dare. Begin with each of you writing out five dares -- anything from trying on a sexy outfit to something naughty like stripping -- on separate pieces of paper. Place them in a bowl. Now take turns asking each other naughty questions such as, "What's the sexiest fantasy you've ever had?" or "What's the most unusual place you've ever wanted to have sex?" If you don't answer, you have to dip into the pot and select a dare.
5. Go back to high school. Relive those turbulent, testosterone-driven high school years by driving to your town's Lover's Lane, listening to love songs on the tape deck, and getting hot 'n heavy in the backseat.
6. Watch the sunrise. Sure you've seen the sunset together, but have you checked out how spectacular a sunrise is in the winter? You'll have to wake up early and bundle up, but it's so worth it. Besides, you can always crawl back into bed and cuddle afterward.
7. Channel your inner poet. Light some candles, pour a couple glasses of merlot, and whip out those poetry primers you still have from college. Reading powerful verses together may open up the doors of communication and lead to an intense, um, connection.
8. Spice up your bedroom decor. Redecorate your bedroom to look like a love den. Buy scented candles, luxurious linens, and a few sex toys (we won't tell).
9. Give each other erotic massages. Make sure your hands are warm and you have plenty of massage oils on hand. Get naked and take turns giving each other rubdowns. If a happy ending is in order, so be it!
10. Get wet. Take a bubble bath together, or, if you're lucky enough to live near a remote pond or lake (in a warm climate…no hypothermia, please!), go skinny-dipping by moonlight.
11. Have a picnic indoors. Spread a blanket on the bed with fresh fruit, chocolates, cheese slices, and wine to encourage between-the-sheets action.
12. Get gooey.Make chocolate lava cake and feed it to each other (no forks allowed). Mmmm. (Click here for a chocolate lava cake recipe.)
13. Trade IOUs. Create coupon books for each other with favors, whether it's for a homemade dinner or a foot massage. The offers expire February 14, 2011.
14. Lighten up. Buy new lampshades for the bedroom -- something dark and mysterious that lets in little light and induces a romantic vibe. Or swap out your regular bulbs for soft pink ones that cast a sexy glow.
15. Play Three Things. Each think of three sexual things you've always wanted to try and write them down on separate pieces of paper. These are folded, marked with your initials to identify them, and mixed up. Then take turns drawing out one of the other's wishes, agreeing in advance to at least give it a try.
16. Do some dirty dancing. Burn a CD with tunes from your dating days and include your first dance (or favorite) song. Hint: Pull down your shades before things get too steamy.
17. Make it a double header. You've got all day, so why not take in two events? Hate basketball and your main squeeze is addicted to it? Get tickets to a game. Despise musicals? Surprise your spouse with tickets to a show. Sucking it up just this once will win you major brownie points.
18. Create your own movie star moniker. Think Brangelina and TomKat -- make your own by combining your two names. The funnier, the better.
19. Be a cover model. Take silly paparazzi portraits of yourselves and make a mock-up tabloid cover using your movie star name (see above).
20. Go for a run…with a steamy finish line. Sure, it's cold outside, but all those endorphins pumping through your veins will pay off in a hot, two-person shower later.
21. Play Three-Card Stud. You provide the stud. What's the game? The loser bares all, and the winner sees all.
22. Rent a romantic movie. A low-key Valentine's Day can be every bit as special as an expensive dinner and roses. The rule: Each of you gets to pick a sexy flick and can't veto the other's choice.
23. Go on a gift mission. Hit a bookstore or music store together, then split up. Your mission: Buy something you know your sweetie will love. Then wrap and exchange. Extra credit if you both buy copies of The Kama Sutra or a sexy read like Lady Chatterley's Lover.
24. Dance, dance, dance. So you've seen Dancing With the Stars and secretly wish you could twirl like Mario Lopez? It's time to test your own skills by taking a couples dance class.
25. Play stylist. Choose each other's attire for dinner and get dressed together (you can't decline each others' picks, by the way!). Later, take turns undressing each other.
26. Stage a sex strike. Try not to have sex the entire week before Valentine's Day. We know it's tough, but the payoff will be amazing.
27. Propose a frisky game. Try Forfeit: One of you has to correctly guess what the other is miming and pay a forfeit if you get it wrong. For example, she may appear to be miming oral sex, but she's actually miming sucking his finger. If he doesn't guess correctly, he has to pay a forfeit -- such as removing an item of clothing or performing a sex act that pleases only her -- forfeiting his own needs.
28. Have a wine tasting a deux. Buy a few bottles of your favorite varietal from around the globe and rate and review. Remember: This is a tasting party, and chugging will only result in falling asleep before any sex is had.
29. Go commando. “Forget" to wear underwear to dinner. Don't tell your partner until you get there.
30. Make a dessert bar. Create a major spread on your coffee table with chocolate sundae fixings, cookies and ice cream (to make sandwiches), or layers of various berries and whipped cream. Enjoy your decadent treats for dinner (after all, calories don't count on V-Day).
31. Survey the art scene.Museums are great, but your local galleries offer a serious plus: On top of undiscovered art, you'll score free wine and cheese.
32. Say OM! Want to get primed for later? Take a couples yoga class and learn new ways to bend.
33. Go to an amateur comedy show. Admission rates are cheaper when you watch amateurs get on stage, and the comedic value -- intentional or not -- is more than worth the low (or even free) cover charge.
34. Catch a concert. Check your local papers and websites for upcoming free concerts. If you're lucky enough to celebrate outdoors, pack a picnic basket and blanket so you can dance and dine in the same place.
35. Go ice skating If you own skates, gliding around at a public rink is often free. Bring a thermos of hot chocolate and marshmallows plus a sweet treat to share. Or plan to stop by a diner afterward to grab dessert and warm up.
36. Try a new ethnic cuisine. Even picky eaters can't resist pad Thai with chicken, veggies, and peanuts.
37. Play at being 007. Dress up as your favorite Bond characters (Bond girl and Bond himself, naturally) and meet a bar. Pretend you're two strangers meeting for the first time.
38. Build a fort. You remember how to do it -- construct it out of couch cushions, blankets, and pillows in your living room. Then, turn that fort into a love cave.
39. Play some nighttime paintball. You've got the whole day, but darkness adds an air of intrigue to the game, and the postgame shower is not to be taken alone.
40. Get dirty in the dressing room. Look for some new threads and yes, stealthily hooking up in the dressing room is highly suggested.
41. Go outside. Make the most of cold-weather activities: Build a snow-couple or go sledding. If you live in a warmer climate, take a long walk on a new route you haven't tried before.
42. Create a VIP club. Who needs a bar to dance? Load your iPod with sexy tunes, from Kanye to Rihanna, and hook it up to the speakers in your pad. Bonus points for hanging a disco ball (find these cheap at stores like Walmart, Target, or your local party store) to get a club-like vibe.
43. Start a V-Day text-a-thon. Can't spend the whole day together? Send your partner a steamy text every hour, on the hour. By the time your honey gets home, the anticipation will be at an all-time high.
44. Build a fire. Take turns reading aloud from a sexy book in front of the blaze. The catch: You can't touch each other until you're done reading. How's that for getting a fire started?
45. Make like a hotel in Vegas. You can't get sexier than strawberries (use chocolate-dipped ones -- they're an aphrodisiac) and champagne in a hot bubble bath. Hint: Keep a bucket of ice cubes nearby for when things get super-steamy.
46. Spell it out. Write a sultry clue on the mirror in the morning when your sweetie is in the shower, like, “Meet me in the kitchen" -- then surprise your Valentine with two mimosas…and you in the buff.
47. MYOV -- as in Make Your Own Valentines. Back in the day, you gave a valentine to all of your BFFs. Grab construction paper, markers, glue, and glitter and make a valentine for your sweetie.
48. Visit another country. In your own backyard, that is. Always wanted to go to Japan? Hit up your local museum's Japanese collection, grab sushi at your favorite restaurant, and then sing the high notes at your local karaoke bar.
49. Stay in bed all day. Play hooky and stay underneath the covers? Prepare breakfast in bed, cue up an all-day lounge-a-thon, and order in for dinner.
50. Recreate your first V-Day together. Who said there's no such thing as a do-over? Do it the same way you did back then. The only things you'll miss are the nerves and overblown expectations.